Friday, March 20, 2009

Gluten Free Bread

Sisters Three Gluten Free


Bread - six and a half years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac. Here is my story of how I became diagnosed and how bread is major part of my life now. I found myself very tired and seemed unable to accomplish the things I started. I was eating an eight pound bag of ice a day and seemed to be tired all the time. I was able to go to Church, made sure there was food and the essentials in the house but when it came to house work -- forget it. I did not have the energy. We had a puppy and one day I was visiting my sister with the her on a leash. Twix , (the dog's name) was so excited to see everyone she took off running, as I held on to the leash down I went. I did not fall hard and when I got up I noticed I had a hard time walking - not actually walking, more like taking the first few steps. Once I started I was OK. I walked like this for three to four days. Then it happened, I was on the couch (I was home by myself) and when I went to roll over I heard something pop. I was, at this point, unable to walk much at all. When my husband came home he took me to the hospital. I was having pain in my thigh, never thinking it was my hip which was broken. The doctors wanted to know how old I was, (4o, which is too young for hip fractures). They did blood work to see what type I needed for surgery. My husband was told I was in critical condition with a blood count of 5.2 (12 is normal, 8 is serious). The doctors and nurses wanted to know how I functioned. I need two pints of blood before surgery could be done. They ran a lot of test and finally it was thought I may have Celiac. This was in July but at that time the only way to be sure was by doing a scope and biopsy. I had broken my left hip and you needed to lay on your left side for a scope. This meant I had to wait until September to be diagnosed. When I was finally given the diagnosis I cried for two days. The information I had been given and the info we had meant giving up most of what I ate. I did not know anyone who had this disease and was devastated. My sisters lived a hundred miles away and did everything in their power to come up with food I could eat.

Since being diagnosed and because this is genetic my five siblings as well as many of our children are now gluten free. Some due to the gene alone and others because they are gluten sensitive. My sisters have been able to develop a bread which does not resemble GF bread at all. This bread is like the homemade bread you only dream of when you are gluten free. Those who are GF and not a part of the family are so excited about this bread. They tell everyone, it is so soft you can wrap it around a hot dog without it breaking or crumbling up. Bread is what I really missed and now I am a part of a company who will have Gluten Free Bread Mixes for sale soon.

Here is a picture of our bread. As you can see it raises quite high (approx. 5" high).

3 comments:

  1. The pictures of the bread are great--but they aren't as good as the bread tastes!! ---and the way it feels--like bread--imagine that!!! It is hard for some of us to remember the softness and "pliability" of "real" bread--but we have continued to miss it!! Well now we have it available again in your bread-YIPPEE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi nancy, i think you might be my first comment... it is so exciting! so you have been gluten free since 2002....a lot has changed even since then! i will check out your blog and add you to mine!

    i hope you are doing well now and you are finding wonderful things to eat, gf...or course! thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way, your bread looks divine!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Farrell, PA, United States
Sharing information on living gluten free and how changing your diet can change the quality of your life.